Thursday, September 28, 2017
Hello everyone, and welcome to our blog! Today we have a very exciting announcement to make: on October 2, 2017 Integrated Living Opportunities (ILO) will be launching a brand new community – building initiative: ILO Community Group.
The ILO Community Group is a unique, all ages, members-only group that operates within the wider ILO community. Our goal is to provide members with the opportunities to practice and develop independent living skills, participate in community building activities, and to learn about and embrace our community building philosophy. Families and individuals with disabilities that join the ILO group will be welcomed into an inclusive, supportive and supported community that facilitates the development of meaningful relationships. At Community Group, members can begin to make connections and build relationships that will help develop their own network of support – and networks of support are the cornerstone of ILO’s community building philosophy.
ILO Community Group was created to bring together individuals with disabilities who wish to join the ILO community, but may not be ready to participate in ILO training, or actively prepare for independent living at this time. Through engaging in ILO events, workshops, and taking part in activities such as the Skills Inventory™, we hope that community group members will develop the foundation necessary for independent living in the future, whenever that may be.
Benefits of Joining ILO’s Community Group
In addition to becoming a part of the ILO network, Community Group members learn about self-advocacy, community living, and independence. Members participate in social and recreational activities organized by ILO, in partnership with Edlavitch DCJCC, (Jewish Community Center in Washington, D.C.) and connect with other individuals with disabilities. Through these connections members develop friendships and begin the process of integrating into a wider community.
ILO Community Member Benefits:
- Welcome package, including information on ILO’s Supported Communities
- Monthly recreational/social activities organized in partnership with Edlavitch JCC.
- Annual Community Group Reception
- Access to presentations on a variety of topics. Examples include: An Introduction to ILO, supported decision making, how to create a community and the impact of a community builder, estate planning for special needs, etc.
- Activities for self-advocates running concurrently to presentations as well as separate.
- Early access to Skills Inventory™, a detailed assessment of daily living skills and experiences. This assessment is the basis for preparing the self-advocate for independent living and for those advocates already out of the family home, for maintaining skills and developing new ones.
- Access to a members-only chat room where families and members can discuss challenges, seek advice, share successes and further develop the connections formed at community group events.
- Access to members-only resource page that provides valuable information on advocacy, transitioning, housing, independent living, special needs planning, etc.
ILO Community Group Annual Cost
The ILO Community Group membership fee is $180 annually, billed on the anniversary date of joining. For 50 cents a day, your family and your family member with disabilities can join an inclusive community of like-minded individuals that want to lead full, rewarding, independent lives.
ILO is a non-profit dedicated to serving individuals with disabilities and their families in the DC area. As such, a membership cost is in place solely to cover the cost of organization and benefits. The Community Group is an ideal way for individuals with disabilities and their families to begin building the connections and networks of support needed for individuals to live independently, without having to commit to ILO training.
Please contact us with any questions you may have. We would love to meet with you and your family member with disabilities to discuss how the Community Group is beneficial to all individuals with disabilities. We would also love the opportunity to introduce you to our ILO community.
Join ILO Community Group today!
Thanks for visiting our blog today. We hope that you will consider joining ILO Community Group, and will help us grow our network of support, and continue to create supported communities in which adults with disabilities can socialize, learn and develop skills, and live independently.
If you would like more information, please contact us. We would love to hear from you! And keep an eye on our blog – we will post information about upcoming ILO events, including our Annual Welcome Reception, Workshops, and Community Group events.